Friday, February 5, 2016

Stylistic Principles in Writing

     As I proceed with my thesis, it may be helpful, mainly for myself, to put into writing, the principles that I follow in developing my formal style.  Use of language is highly personal, I know, and so, while I find these principles reasonable, I should not

  1.  Use all grammatical tools that English has to offer: Subordination.
    • Subordinate clauses should be balanced.
    • Periodic sentences should be reserved for emphasis.
  2. Prefer Anglo-Saxon words to foreign.
  3. Prefer shorter words.  Polysyllaby is a defect. 
  4. Fewer words is preferable to more to express the same idea (this will often conflict with '3' and '4', especially with words of Greek origin). 
  5. Avoid symbols.  Hyphens, slashes, dashes,
  6. 1
  7. 1
  8. 1
  9. 1
  10.  

No comments:

Post a Comment